Lightroom Tutorial #1
Hello, I am Buddha Saikia, an Android developer by profession and a photographer by way of a hobby. While working with various post processing software, I have noticed that there are a very few good blogs which are targeted towards beginners when it comes to post processing of photos. Hence, I decided to start this blog where I can share my experience about post processing with Adobe Photoshop Lightroom and hopefully help you in finding quick tips and good resources about post processing.
My first post is about how to install Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.7 in Windows 8.1 operating system. So let’s get started with your first basic setup for Adobe Lightroom 5.7 in Windows 8.1. Good luck!
Lightroom 5.7 Minimum System Requirements
- Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 or AMD Athlon® 64 processor
- OS: Microsoft® Windows® 7 with Service Pack 1, Windows 8, or Windows 8.1
- RAM: 2GB (4GB recommended)
- Hard Disk: 2GB of available hard-disk space
- Display: 1024×768 display resolution
I Want to Start with Adobe Creative Cloud!
Recently Adobe has changes all of their products license type from proprietary to monthly subscription based. Adobe Lightroom is the only software you can buy a proprietary license. You can also buy Adobe Lightroom by paying monthly basis along with extra features. If you are an amateur photographer or very new to photography, you may try buying Adobe Creative Cloud Photography Plan which cost $9.99/Month (or Rs. 499/Month) only. This includes Lightroom 6 for desktop and mobile and Photoshop CC. Also you will get daily updates on all these softwares. All these options are not featured in Lightroom 6 / Lightroom 5 stand alone proprietary license. This is a very good plan for starters.
I Want to Start with Adobe Lightroom Standalone!
Download and Install Adobe Lightroom 5 in Windows 8.1
Step 1: Download Lightroom 5.7
- Open your browser ( Firefox / Chrome / Internet Explorer or whatever browser is installed in your system ) and go to Goolge search engine by typing www.google.com in the address bar.
- Type “Download Lightroom” in the search box and press Enter button.
- Click on the link “Adobe – Lightroom : For Windows”
- OR click on this link ” http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=113&platform=Windows ” to quickly go to the search result.
- Click on the first link ” Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.7 ” to proceed.
- Click on “Proceed to Download” link.
- Click on ” Download Now ” link to start download. Click on Save when prompted. You may change the file save path in the dialog box.
Download using FTP
If you want to download from official Adobe FTP site you may click on the below link –
- ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/lightroom/ ( Contains all available versions of Lightroom for Macintosh and Windows OS. )
- ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/lightroom/win/5.x/ ( Contains all available versions of Lightroom 5.x for Windows OS. )
- ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/lightroom/win/5.x/Lightroom_5_LS11_win_5_7_1.exe ( Download Lightroom_5_LS11_win_5_7_1.exe – Using FTP )
Step 2: Install Lightroom 5.7
- Double click on the downloaded file (In my case C:\Users\user\Desktop->Lightroom_5_LS11_win_5_7.exe, since I have downloaded the file to Desktop.) to start the installation process. First it will prompt to extract the files.
- Click Next to proceed with the default folder path to extract the files.
- File extraction in progress.
- Check the ” Lunch Photoshop Lightroom 5.7 Installer ” check box and click on Finish. If you want to start the installation manually select only the second check box and click on Finish to go to the folder with extracted files.
- Select your desired language and click on OK.
- Click on “Next”.
- Select ” I accept the terms in the license agreement ” and click on ” Next “.
- Change the default installation directory if you want to install Lightroom 5 other than ” C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.7 ” path or if you do not have required minimum disk space in C drive. Else click on “Next” to proceed.
- Click the ” Install ” button when prompted.
- Click on ” Finish ” to finish the installation.
Getting Started with Lightroom 5.7
- Double click on the ” Lightroom 5.7 64-bit ” icon on the Desktop to start.
- Select ” I want to try ” option and your country. Click on ” Finish “.
- Click on ” Import Photos ” link to import photos in to Lightroom workspace.